Friday, May 6, 2011

Music: CunninLynguists - Strange Journey Volume One

          Strange Journey Volume One is the third mixtape (Pretty much was an album) released by the CunninLynguists. With four true albums (That's 7 for you mathematicians.) under their belts, they are in true bloom.  No longer needing to "prove something" or "make a name" they take their artistic vision and run with it.  This was my first impression because this was the first album I got from them.  It was the cover art and the title that pulled me in and made me put down the cash for it. (It happens and I'm definitely not disappointed)
          I guess the reason it's considered a mixtape is because neither of the CunninLynguist rappers appear on some songs. (Though they are still produced by Kno.)  Just because it's categorized as a mixtape; don't think that this is in any way a half-assed effort.  Kno's beats captures (Or sets) the emotion carried by the album, while  Deacon and Natti cleverly convey their thoughts on a wide range of topics. To me the overall theme is the struggles of couping with the human condition(I might be wrong.) The fear of death and the search for purpose. These are the fundamental aspects of the human condition that plague me and yet I find joy in the simplest things like holding hands, creating and appreciating art. Sorry, sometimes I get lost in my own thoughts, but this is life and it is a strange journey.


Gems (Top Three)


1.) Die For You By Mr. SOS - Track #9 
Okay  officially, Mr. SOS isn't part of the group, but he was before. (I don't know why he left or anything, but this song being part of the line up shows they're still on good terms.)  It's about looking for real love and once you find it how would you know it's real. After a long list of messed up relationships it's hard to believe in it anymore.  You become numb and cynical, but that hole is still there.  That longing for affection is still there and so you keep trying to find it.  So when you think you found true love just ask: What would you do if I lose my way? See what they'll say.

2.) Don't Leave (When Winter Comes) By Deacon the Villain, Slug & Natti - Track #13
The song features Slug from Atmosphere (Another great band) who definitely was an asset to the track.  Being on the road more than being home takes a toll on anyone.  These underground artist really only get by with the money they make from their shows. So they (Underground artists in general) tour more then anyone else.  This song is about home sickness and the pain of leaving love ones behind.  They do it in hopes of better tomorrows.  The female vocals at the end was like an unexpected perfect touch finishing off this great song on a powerful note.

3.) Broken Van (Thinking of You) By Deacon the Villain, Natti, Mac Lethal - Track #15
This entire song is an analogy of women (Or relationships) and cars.  It is put together really well.  If you're not paying attention you would think the song is about being broke and not being able to take care of your car.  With lines like "Neglected all the checklist, proper maintenance, spark plugs, wires the bleeding brakes and shit."  Could be taken literally or as he didn't do what he was suppose to to keep the relationship alive.  Give it a listen and you will clearly see the skill and creativity these guys have.

BONUS! The Distance By tonedeff - Track #14
This would have been #2, but tondeff isn't in the group. (I know. Technicalities.) He is a close affiliate and founder of QN5 Music. (The label the Cunninlyguists are on.)  I'm actually not clear on what this song is about.  What I take from it is a life tale of loneliness.  I know I've had that feeling, where no mater what I do things never seem to get better.  (Not in an economical sense.)  A very sad piece, but I think that's what make it so beautiful.
-Don't Just Be A Robot, Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...