Friday, April 22, 2011

Music: Samurai Champloo OST



          To make things a little more complete I thought I'd talk a little about the original sound tracks (OSTs).  They were mainly produce by Tsutchie, FORCE OF NATURE & Nujabes.  There's a mix of Jazz, J-Pop, RnB and (of course) Hip-Hop. All the songs used in the show perfectly depicted the emotion of the scenes.  So when you listen to the OST alone you can't help but feel.  Without the show or vocals on the tracks you can sit there and think, which then could lead you to a sort of introspective look at yourself and life. These OSTs are good for cruise music when your in your car or a smooth back drop when you have company over. (I've learned through experience that not all music without vocals can help promote conversation, some are disruptive.) Check out this guys blog Here. He did a real thorough job on covering OSTs. 













I hope you don't consider this rambling but I felt I had to recommend some music from the OST. Here's my top three;

1.) Obokuri Eeumi (Obtain Bearing) By Ikue Asazaki
The number one song for me isn't even on any of the sound tracks. To be honest I was surprised when it wasn't, because this song was used in such an important scene in the series. Either which way it's my number one. It is considered folk but it is a very emotional piece.  Even though I don't understand her words this song moved me.  It is very hard to explain, but once you hear it  you can clearly see how music is the universal language.   

2.) You by Kazami  (Produce by Tsutchie) on the Samurai Champloo Music Record - Masta OST.
This is one of those song I will get laughed at for liking, but it's a really good song.  Kazami sings in English and (what I assume is) Japanese.  (It's the English that gets my balls busted.) If I remember correctly it was used for the end credits of a single episode. Very self empowering and cherishing every moment type of song.


3.) Mystline by Nujabes (No Vocals) on the Samurai Champloo Music Record - Departure OST.
With me telling you how great the non-vocal tracks are, I kind of find it funny that it was the last of my top three. Nonetheless, It is a perfect example of the thought provoking power behind these songs.  Simple & Smooth, but never boring.


BONUS! Obokuri Eeumi (Obtain Bearing) Remix by AfroBeat Productions
Not an official song that's on any OST but this guy is a talented producer from Saint Louis. He messes with Anime OST as well as Video Game OST to make remix versions. All his remixes can hold their own when compared to their original counter part. Afro in pure Champloo Style mixed it up to produce this Hip-Hop version of Obtain Bearing without losing the tranquility and essence that made the original number one. (In my list)
                                                                                                    -Don't Just Be A Robot, Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...